With the Iran War groaning along, the Trump administration is getting increasingly indignant. Plumes of childish anger can be seen coming out of the White House and Pentagon. Having joined an illegal, joint enterprise with Israel in attacking Iran, allies are proving increasingly unwilling to play along.
That unwillingness gurgled to the top with Spain’s announcement on March 30 that it had closed its airspace to US aircraft participating in strikes on Iran. This added to Madrid’s decision earlier in the month to deny the US military access to its bases for military operations against Tehran. “We don’t authorise either the use of military bases or the use of airspace for actions related to the war in Iran,” Defence Minister Margarita Robles told reporters. Spain’s Economy Minister Carlos Cuerpo, in an interview with radio Cadena SER, called the move consistent and “part of the decision already made by the Spanish government not to participate in or contribute to a war which was initiated unilaterally and against international law.”
The government of Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez has been singularly pertinacious in its characterisation of the Iran War, and more broadly illustrative of the current bad blood in transatlantic relations. In a piece for The Economist, Sánchez wrote of his country’s misplaced support for Washington in February 2003 when the then US Secretary of State, Colin Powell, told the UN Security Council most gravely that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, and needed to be attacked. The foolishly credulous Spanish Prime Minister at the time, José María Aznar, was convinced that the regime of Saddam Hussein had such weapons. “Today we face a similar situation, and my government’s position is the same as that voiced by Spanish society two decades ago: NO TO WAR. No to the unilateral violation of international law. No to repeating the mistakes of the past. No to the idea that the world’s problems can be solved with bombs.”
Italian authorities have also expressed displeasure at the presumptuousness of their US allies in taking liberties with their military facilities. In a March 31 report by Corriere della Sera, “several US bombers” that had intended to land at Sigonella air base on route to the Middle East were refused as they had not properly requested authorisation or consulted with the Italian military. A statement from Palazzo Chigi, the office of Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, reiterated that Italy “acts in full compliance with existing international agreements and with the policy guidelines expressed by the Government to Parliament.”
Other allies are openly rebuffing requests by US officials to secure additional military equipment to the Gulf. Critical here are air-defence systems such as the Patriot batteries that have been dramatically depleted since the outbreak of hostilities. In the first 16 days of the war, some 1,285 PAC-3 Patriot missiles were used by the US military and Gulf states.
The Polish Defence Minister, Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz could not have been clearer in his statement on whether Poland’s complement of Patriot air defence systems would make their way to the Middle East. “Our Patriot batteries and their armaments are used to protect Polish airspace and NATO’s eastern flank. Nothing is changing in this regard, and we have no plans to move them anywhere!” Fellow allies understood “the importance of our tasks here. Poland’s security is an absolute priority.”
As has become customary, US President Donald Trump has led the growls of grievance, billowing with anger on Truth Social about the reluctance of European partners to throw in their lot in what is, at best, a criminal enterprise. On the issue of depleted jet fuel supplies restricted by the closure of the Strait of Hormuz, he brusquely suggested to his allies that they could purchase supplies from the US (“we have plenty”) and “build up some delayed courage, go to the Strait, and just TAKE IT.” With a demented paternalism, he went on to declare that “You’ll have to start learning how to fight for yourself, the USA won’t be there to help you anymore, just like you weren’t there for us.” With typically strained logic, he went on to suggest that any assistance would be minor, in any case, as Iran had been “decimated.” “The hard part is done. Go get your own oil!”
Special mention was made of mulishness on the part of the UK (“which refused to get involved in the decapitation of Iran”) and France. France, for instance, had refused to permit planes carrying military supplies destined for Israel to fly over French territory. “France has been VERY UNHELPFUL with respect to the ‘Butcher of Iran’, who has been successfully eliminated. The U.S.A. will REMEMBER!!!”.
Soon afterwards, a comically crazed and increasingly God loving Pete Hegseth struck a similar note in the Pentagon. “A lot has been laid bare, a lot has been shown to the world about what our allies would be willing to do for the United States of America,” grumbled the Secretary of Defense (he prefers War) to reporters. “When we undertake an effort of this scope on behalf of the free world, these are missiles that don’t even range the United States of America, they range allies and others and yet, when we ask for additional assistance or simple access… we get questions or roadblocks or hesitation.”
In his March 30 interview with Al Jazeera, Secretary of State Marco Rubio was also brimming with complaints. “If NATO is just about us defending Europe if they’re attacked but then denying us basic rights when we need them, that’s not a very good arrangement. That’s a hard one to stay engaged in and say this is good for the United States.” All this called for a reassessment. “All of it’s going to have to be re-examined.” The re-examination, notably judging from the temper of European states, is proving increasingly reciprocal and, in some circles, even welcome.
Keep Independent Journalism Alive – Support The AIMN
Dear Reader,
Since 2013, The Australian Independent Media Network has been a fearless voice for truth, giving public interest journalists a platform to hold power to account. From expert analysis on national and global events to uncovering issues that matter to you, we’re here because of your support.
Running an independent site isn’t cheap, and rising costs mean we need you now more than ever. Your donation – big or small – keeps our servers humming, our writers digging, and our stories free for all.
Join our community of truth-seekers. Please consider donating now via:
PayPal or credit card – just click on the Donate button below
Direct bank transfer: BSB: 062500; A/c no: 10495969
We’ve also set up a GoFundMe as a dedicated reserve fund to help secure the future of our site.
Your support will go directly toward covering essential costs like web hosting renewals and helping us bring new features to life. Every contribution, no matter the size, helps us keep improving and growing.
Thank you for standing with us – we truly couldn’t do this without you.
With gratitude, The AIMN Team

A tantrum by another name with the usual dummy spit….
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/commentisfree/2026/apr/02/donald-trump-man-baby-leader-of-the-free-world-is-having-an-epic-tantrum-anthony-albanese-must-call-it-out
After living through the horrors of older friends and relatives being called up to Vietnam – and watching the crap in Iraq, Afghanistan etc -, I’m please that other governments are growing some balls.
And here’s the latest from the trumper – he wants to bomb Iran “back to the stone ages where they belong”
https://www.thenewdaily.com.au/news/world/us-news/2026/04/02/trump-national-address
“You’ll have to start learning how to fight for yourself, the USA won’t be there to help you anymore, just like you weren’t there for us.”
Classical words from a politician who belatedly realised that his military mission to Iran:
a) cannot proceed to any sense of victory
b) cannot induce regime change in Tehran
c) cannot avoid massive US military casualties if 50,000 US Marines are landed on Iranian soil
d) cannot convince international maritime insurers that access to the Gulf of Hormuz is safe whilst US military remains in the region
e) cannot restore confidence, loyalty or discipline in the US military whilst Hegseth rants with irrational Christian Zionist zeal
f) cannot motivate EU and NATO nations to “co-operate” with his Iran campaign
g) cannot deny that the US electorate has lost/is losing faith in his MAGA project
h) cannot deny that his failing popularity is an existential threat to the Mid-Term Elections
i) cannot deny that GCC nations realise that USA is not a reliable ally that will repel aggressors
j) cannot deny that the Israeli/Zionist influence in US politics does not reflect US national interests
k) cannot deny that Netanyahu regards him as Assistant President of Israel
l) cannot deny that Netanyahu has created illegal military and genocidal activities in Gaza, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Iran with US complicity
m) cannot deny that USA continually protects Israel iwar crimes by use of the veto in the UNGA
n) cannot deny that Jewish American pro-Zionist financiers have grossly distorted the governance of the US Congress and Senate to the detriment of the character and reputation of the USA
There are more facts to be mentioned than available letters in the alphabet – I could go on – you get my message!
Mediocrates, if I may: He’s not a politician, per se, more of a huckster cum self-aggrandiser who saw an opportunity to enrich himself and his family. A chancer, with only one real aim, how to grift to the max while in office.
As for the long list of ‘cannot denies’, being the wretched creature that he is, a pall of poisonous swamp gas somehow assembled into something representing human form, truthfulness & honesty is as remote to him as winning Powerball is to 99.999999% of the people who buy a ticket. I reckon he’d deny all your allegations; he’s the sort of rare bird that’ll go to his grave with a speaker in his coffin saying ‘I’m not dead’ on repeat.
@ Mediocrates: You are naughty!! Listing the many ”successes” that TACO Trumpery has made during his ”genius in his own demented mind” strategy of kidding the world that he knows what he is doing ….
Oops!! Silly me!! While ever Butcher Bibi cheers from the gallery then the USA (Undemocratic Sewer of Apartheid) will continue to provide the military hardware to the ZIONAZIS in Isrevil to insure that ”political donations” continue flowing into the Republican Party coffers ….. and into TACO related entities. How many BILLIONS have been attributed to TACO since he became PPOTUS (Pederast Protector of the United Sewer)???
Response to uncletimrob; Yes, well based on what information we get it would seem that the Iranians are more civilised than the trump administration and millions of the American people.